Calvert Hall is currently seeking a College Counselor
for the 2021-2022 school year
Calvert Hall College High School, a Catholic and Lasallian college preparatory school, provides a diverse community of young men with a broad and balanced human and Christian education through excellent academic and extracurricular programs that promote leadership, achievement and service within the church and community.
Candidates will have a minimum of a bachelor's degree and college counseling experience in a secondary school environment and/or college admission experience preferred at a selective institution.
Primary job responsibilities include working with students to guide them through the college search and application process.
Candidates should have the ability to work with other college counselors and the school counseling team. Experience using Naviance is strongly preferred. Qualities the applicant should possess include: organized, outgoing, service-oriented, exceptional writing, strong public speaking skills, attention to detail, and a solid work ethic.
As part of the job description, the College Counselor must:
- Understand the college admission process at a variety of institution types and selectivity levels.
- Cultivate relationships with admission professionals, including hosting college admission visitors to our school and visiting college campuses.
- Provide guidance and resources to support students as they navigate the college search and application process.
- Guide students and others in understanding and utilizing Naviance, the college admission data management system.
- Serve as a general resource for students, parents, and teaching faculty regarding admission criteria and college historical data.
- Educate students on appropriate interviewing techniques, self-assessment tools, and application essay writing techniques; review drafts and essays.
- Share financial aid and scholarship information on a timely basis with students and families.
- Manage school document completion and submission (including teacher recommendations).
- Plan and facilitate senior and junior college planning meetings, PSAT/PreACT Diagnostic Night, and Financial Aid night for parents.
- Answer standardized test queries knowledgably and provide information about testing options and preparatory classes.
Work effectively one-on-one with students and be able to address small or large gatherings of people to discuss the college admission and research process.
- Communicate regularly with counselees and their parents. Conduct one-on-one conferences. Follow up as appropriate via email and/or telephone.
- Pursue regional and national professional development conferences including attendance at annual conference(s).
- Write detailed letters of support for each counselee.
- Participate in events throughout the year sponsored by the School Counseling Office, such as teaching College Advising seminars, evening presentations, and college fairs.
All counselors work in collaboration with other members of the Calvert Hall community including administrators, faculty, coaches, alumni, and parents. In addition to counseling responsibilities, each counselor has specific job functions and tasks unique to his or her career expertise. There is strong support for professional development; attendance at regional and national professional conferences is expected as is participation in college counselor tours and independent visits to college campuses.
Calvert Hall is an equal opportunity employer, and is constantly seeking excellent candidates to fill faculty and staff positions. In each position, we seek someone who has the ability to work on a team, who is open to professional growth, and will be committed to our school’s Lasallian mission. Additionally, we place value on faculty who are willing to get involved in our extensive extracurricular program.
Resumes and letters of interest should be emailed directly to
Traci Malstrom, Assistant to the Principal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered until the position has been filled. Priority will be given to candidates who submit application materials by February 12, 2021.